Welcome to SpecTech

Hello and welcome to the official Valdosta State University Spectator's technology column blog, SpecTech! Run by tech wizard Steven Setser, SpecTech has everything you want to know about the latest gadgets from the digital world. So if you think you're ready, power up and let's go!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Red Dead Redemption Review


                I have never been a huge (pardon the pun) fan of open world games. The Grand Theft Auto series just never felt real enough for me. Red Dead Redemption truly creates a living, breathing world that I enjoy telling people about.
                You play as John Marston, a man robbed of his life. He grew up in a gang and was left to die by his “friends.” He is later hired (or forced) to kill three men from his former gang. To do this you will travel all through the old west and even Mexico.
                This is an open world game where you can do just about anything you want to. To advance the story you must complete missions, which range from killing people, to killing people, to making trades with rebels, to later kill them.
                When you are not completing missions you can run around towns, ride your horse, kill innocent people, complete side quests, and even complete random stranger’s quests. During the day you can break wild horses in, while at night you can follow a dog and stop random acts of crime.
                The game has lots of shops which give you guns and supplies. You earn money by completing missions or looting bodies. The most fun way to get the green is by gambling of course! You can join games of poker, Black Jack, horseshoes, or my personal favorite, Liar’s Dice. These can also be played online with real players.
                There are some issues though. To me the main game was just a tad bit too long and repetitive. I felt like the game pretended to end twice before it finally ended. I thought only Bayonetta could get away with that! I also ran into several graphical glitches that prevented me from doing anything until I killed myself.
                Also, I love and hate the randomly generated animals. I would kill a deer and walk up to kill it, when suddenly a cougar would jump out and knock me off a ledge to kill me. But, sometimes it is fun. I saw a townsperson get chased by a bear, only for the man to get run over by the passing train! I’ve never laughed so hard!
                I cannot even begin to cover everything in this game. I have completed over 25 hours of the game and only gotten 84.8% completed. The environment just feels so alive. The random wildlife attacks and a weather system helps create a real feeling environment. I give Red Dead Redemption for the Xbox 360, a 9 out of 10. It is also available for PlayStation 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment